Argan oil strengthens and moisturizes the hair and has the unique ability to be a powerful antioxidant. It also has the ability to increase overall hair health and improve hair appearance.
As per the haircare experts, you should keep argan oil on your hair for 1 to 2 hours before you wash it off. The duration may differ based on your hair type or your specific requirements.
Table of Contents
How Long do I Leave Argan Oil in My Hair?
According to hair care professionals, you should leave argan oil on your hair for 1 to 2 hours before shampooing. The period will vary depending on your hair type and specific requirements.
The most effective way of oiling your hair is to apply warm argan oil in one-inch increments using a cotton swab. Contrary to popular belief, overnight oiling is useless because it suffocates the natural oil production of the scalp.
The most effective method is to apply it and massage it into the skin for ten to fifteen minutes. Allow one to two hours for the argan oil to absorb before washing with a gentle shampoo. Maintain an interior presence throughout this time period to avoid gathering more grime and dust.
Alternatively, you may leave the argan oil in your hair overnight and then wash it out the next day if necessary.
Avoid keeping argan oil on your scalp for more than 24 hours at a time to prevent your hair from becoming brittle. Dirt may build up, causing your hair to become brittle and fragile.
If the weather is humid, avoid putting oil on your hair.
When your skin and scalp are oily, avoid completely oiling your hair, since an oily scalp produces oil naturally.
If your job requires extensive time outside, you should avoid wearing oily hair. When oily hair is exposed to the outdoors, it may collect dust, resulting in hair loss.
How to Apply Argan Oil on Hair?
- Argan oil has a tendency to harden and thicken when exposed to cold temperatures. As a result, before using, reheat any solidified argan oil in the microwave or on the stovetop at low heat until it becomes liquid again.
- Divide your hair into small sections and massage the argan oil into each section, starting at the roots and working your way to the ends. Use a wide-tooth comb to ensure that it is evenly distributed (and to prevent tangles). To make it more comfortable, massage it with the tips of your fingers.
- There is no need to apply more oil to your hair after a sufficient quantity has been applied. Rather, evenly use your existing hair oil to fully cover each strand. More oil means more washing, which may deplete your hair’s natural oils and hydration, leaving it dull, brittle, and dry.
- Once you’ve covered every strand of hair on your head, twist it into a bun and wear it in a high bun to finish the look. Over-tightening ponytails, according to trichologists, may damage the hair’s roots and cause it to break when the ponytail is weighted down.
- Taking a steamy shower may be beneficial since the steam increases nutrient absorption. A warm cloth placed over your head may also be helpful.
- If necessary, lather up numerous times to fully eliminate all traces of oil residue.
- Finally, thoroughly rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
Pro Tip: You can also try using argan oil as a leave-in conditioner and skip the usual conditioner. Argan oil as a leave-in conditioner will reduce breakage from combing and styling. Massage it into the scalp to cover the hair with a gentle layer of protection.
Do you know that if not done properly, oiling your hair with argan oil can actually do more harm than good? Check this detailed article on How to Apply Argan Oil to Hair in 6 Steps
Your hair and scalp may benefit from the moisturizing properties of argan oil. In addition to preventing hair loss, argan oil may help thicken and fuller hair by minimizing breakage, split ends, and maintaining the health of your scalp.
Use only high-quality, pure argan oil on your scalp and hair if you want the best results. Even if it’s a higher price, you’ll receive greater value for your money.
Argan oil is a fantastic hair and scalp treatment for all hair types due to its flexibility.
Argan oil is an excellent oil to use on damaged hair to return it to health due to its excellent hydrating characteristics. It may also assist in the strengthening and development of hair strands.
It is a waste of time and effort to oil your hair and then rush to the shower to wash it. If you have the time, wait an hour before shampooing your hair. Wrap your hair in a warm, wet towel to allow your pores to expand and fully absorb the benefits of the oil. After that, thoroughly rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
To avoid hair breakage and loss, avoid combing your hair soon after using argan oil. If you want to get rid of knots, start at the tips and work your way up. Detangling your hair and scalp in this manner will allow you to evenly distribute the argan oil throughout them.
Do you know that if not done properly, oiling your hair can actually do more harm than good? Check this detailed article on How to Apply Oil on Hair in 7 Steps: As per Science
What happens if you leave argan oil in your hair too long?
If you leave argan oil in your hair too long it collects dust, which can block the hair follicles and can cause scalp infection. Furthermore, if the argan oil you’re using is unrefined and absorbs into the scalp, it might hinder hair growth.
How often should you put argan oil in your hair?
You should apply argan oil to your hair no more than once or twice a week.
It is OK to keep it on for an hour or two, although this is not essential.
Keep in mind that if you put argan oil on your hair for a lengthy period of time, it might cause considerable damage.
If you leave the argan oil in your hair for more than five to eight hours, it will collect dirt and mix with the natural oil on your scalp. It is important to prevent gathering dirt and grime on your hair if you want to maintain it clean and well-groomed.
It is unsafe to keep oil on your hair and scalp for long periods of time since it may create scalp and skin issues as well as oil flowing down your face, and there is no practical advantage to doing so.
Creative, versatile, and passionate about her craft, Rupa Das is a well-recognized name in the world of fashion and makeup! This is a woman who has been in the fashion and makeup industry for 24 years and is still one of the leading international makeup artist in the circuit! She has worked in big brands like Lakme, Green Trends, Colors and transitioned to become a Beauty (Hair & Skin) Trainer.