Pumpkin oil strengthens and moisturizes the hair and has its unique ability to produce collagen. It also has the ability to increase overall hair health and improve hair appearance.
As per the haircare experts, you should keep pumpkin oil on your hair for 1 to 2 hours before you wash it off. The duration may differ based on your hair type or your specific requirements.
Table of Contents
How Long do I Leave Pumpkin Oil in My Hair?
Professionals recommend leaving pumpkin oil on your hair for 1 to 2 hours before washing. The duration of the treatment will vary according to your hair type and unique needs.
The most efficient method of oiling your hair is to use a cotton swab to apply heated pumpkin oil in one-inch increments. Despite popular belief, overnight oiling is ineffective since it suffocates the scalp’s natural oil production.
The most effective application technique is to apply it to the scalp and massage it in for ten to fifteen minutes. Allow one to two hours for the pumpkin oil to soak before shampooing gently. Throughout this time period, maintain an indoor presence to prevent accumulating further filth and dust.
Alternatively, you may leave the pumpkin oil in your hair overnight and then wash it out the following day.
To avoid your hair becoming brittle, avoid leaving pumpkin oil on your scalp for longer than 24 hours at a time. Dirt may accumulate, making your hair brittle and fragile.
Avoid applying oil to your hair if the weather is humid.
Avoid totally oiling your hair if your skin and scalp are oily, since an oily scalp generates oil naturally.
If your employment needs you to spend significant time outside, you should prevent oily hair. When oily hair is exposed to the weather, it may accumulate dust, which can result in hair loss.
How to Apply Pumpkin Oil on Hair?
- Pumpkin oil has a tendency to harden and thicken when exposed to cold temperatures. As a result, before using, reheat any solidified pumpkin oil in the microwave or on the stovetop at low heat until it becomes liquid again.
- Divide your hair into small sections and massage the pumpkin oil into each section, starting at the roots and working your way to the ends. Use a wide-tooth comb to ensure that it is evenly distributed (and to prevent tangles). To make it more comfortable, massage it with the tips of your fingers.
- There is no need to apply more oil to your hair after a sufficient quantity has been applied. Rather, evenly use your existing hair oil to fully cover each strand. More oil means more washing, which may deplete your hair’s natural oils and hydration, leaving it dull, brittle, and dry.
- Once you’ve covered every strand of hair on your head, twist it into a bun and wear it in a high bun to finish the look. Over-tightening ponytails, according to trichologists, may damage the hair’s roots and cause it to break when the ponytail is weighted down.
- Taking a steamy shower may be beneficial since the steam increases nutrient absorption. A warm cloth placed over your head may also be helpful.
- If necessary, lather up numerous times to fully eliminate all traces of oil residue.
- Finally, thoroughly rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
Pro Tip: Pumpkin oil can also be used as a pre-shampoo conditioner since it nourishes the scalp. It helps as a natural moisturizer to keep hair from becoming dry and frizzy. Adding a few drops of any aromatic essential oil can help in fragrance.
Vitamins and antioxidants are packed within Pumpkin Seed Oil, making it an excellent hair oil. In addition to omega-3 fatty acids, pumpkin seed oil is a good source of zinc, vitamin E, vitamin K and phytosterol, which is good for collagen creation.
Pumpkin Seed Oil is an excellent hair moisturizer that feeds the hair follicles and may help to increase hair thickness and hair count, as well.
If you want the finest effects, use only high-quality, pure pumpkin oil on your scalp and hair. Even though the price is more, you will obtain more value for your money.
Due to the versatility of pumpkin oil, it is an excellent hair and scalp treatment for all hair types.
Due to pumpkin oil’s strong moisturizing properties, it is an ideal oil to use on damaged hair to restore it to health. Additionally, it may help strengthen and thicken hair strands.
Oiling your hair and then rushing to the shower to wash it is a waste of time and effort. Allow an hour before washing your hair if you have the time. Wrap your hair in a warm, damp towel to enable your pores to open and receive all of the oil’s advantages. Following that, rinse your hair completely with lukewarm water.
Minimize brushing your hair immediately after applying pumpkin oil to avoid hair breakage and loss. To eliminate knots, begin at the tips and work your way up. Detangling your hair and scalp in this way enables the pumpkin oil to be distributed evenly throughout them.
Do you know that if not done properly, oiling your hair can actually do more harm than good? Check this detailed article on How to Apply Oil on Hair in 7 Steps: As per Science
What happens if you leave pumpkin oil in your hair too long?
If you leave pumpkin oil in your hair too long it collects dust, which can block the hair follicles and can cause scalp infection. Furthermore, if the pumpkin oil you’re using is unrefined and absorbs into the scalp, it might hinder hair growth.
How often should you put pumpkin oil in your hair?
You should apply pumpkin oil on your hair no more than once or twice a week.
It is completely fine to leave it on for an hour or two, but not required.
Remember that long-term usage of pumpkin oil on your hair might cause significant harm.
After five to eight hours, the pumpkin oil will gather dirt and blend with the natural oil on your scalp. To keep your hair clean and well-groomed, avoid letting dirt and grime accumulate.
Long-term oil retention on the hair and scalp may cause scalp and skin concerns, as well as oil flow down the face, and has no practical benefit.
Creative, versatile, and passionate about her craft, Rupa Das is a well-recognized name in the world of fashion and makeup! This is a woman who has been in the fashion and makeup industry for 24 years and is still one of the leading international makeup artist in the circuit! She has worked in big brands like Lakme, Green Trends, Colors and transitioned to become a Beauty (Hair & Skin) Trainer.